This has been the greatest season for dance shows on Broadway. As a voter, it is very difficult as the talent in NYC and The Great White Way are gigantic. If you love an old fashioned musical with dance there are three musicals you must see. I will be writing more on the other two in the next few weeks.
- On The Town
- An American In Paris
- On The 20th Century
- Something Rotten
All three of these shows have gorgeous singing, beautiful dance, fantastic acting and the productions are so special it brings tears of joy.
- Tony Yazbeck is a triple threat he has a gorgeous voice, is a fantastic dancer and can act! I saw ON THE TOWN a second time tonight and Yazbeck is better the second time around. He has a beautiful dream ballet with Megan Fairchild ( NYC Ballet) when they are in the dream ballet there was not a dry eye in my row. Spectacular! Megan is such a fine dancer and her performance tonight was pristine!
- Alysha Umphress has a gorgeous voice and has perfected her role since the last time I attended.
- Jackie Hoffman is hilarious as usual with all her crazy roles, she was hysterical.
- Joshua Bergasse is a genius. The Choreography is spectacular and I got goosebumps. I can’t tell you how lucky I was to sit on the aisle in row K, And to witness the perfection of ON THE TOWN. As a dance lover, it was a night I will always remember.
- The book and lyrics of Betty Comden and Adolph Green, and music by Leonard Bernstein, hard to top that! ( New York, New York, is probably one of the greatest songs ever written and so is this show! It is a love letter to NYC and Broadway!
To read my reviews on An American In Paris and On The 20th Century, find them in the theater section and more coming soon! Congratulations to all involved in these pristine productions and to all the dancers. Seeing perfection at the theater is very rare and very special and I am very grateful!
Review in November of ON THE TOWN: http://broadwayshowbiz.com/on-the-town/